The High-End Makeup Starter Kit

Diving into the world of high-end makeup is always a big step, there's more money on the line and your bank account is no longer your best friend. *Sigh* If your dipping your toes into high-end beauty, here are some recommendations you're sure to love.


Always start with a good base. Le Blanc de Chanel is the ultimate primer in my opinion. It is offered up as a multi-use illuminating base and is designed to be applied before foundation or mixed in to give an effortless dewy look. A primer for combination to oily skin, Make Up For Ever Step 1 Mattifying Primer, a transparent gel textured primer which leaves the skin with a velvet finish.

Lets talk foundations. If longevity is your main concern the answer is Giorgio Armani's Luminous Silk foundation. The formula blends beautifully into the skin, as opposed to sitting on the surface. Luminous Silk is equal parts matte and dewy, leaving the skin radiant. Depending on your skin concerns, it lasts around eight hours. For combination to oily skin, the Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Even Finish foundation gives the perfect matte finish. It is lightweight and comfortable on the skin and blends seamlessly when buffed in.

When it comes to concealer, I have to say I'm pretty set in my ways. I guess I've found the perfect concealer for each skin concern. The best all-rounder is the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer, it's a lightweight formula that has a light to medium coverage. Its buildable and easy to apply over blemishes as well as blendable for concealing dark under eye circles.

Brows. The Hourglass Arch Brow Sculpting Pencil. 'Nuff said.

High-end eyeshadow palettes can be an investment, but here are a few that I'm sure your bank account will forgive you for. The Naked Palettes, now there are three so I'm not suggesting you buy all three, but pop into your local department store and take a look at which appeals to you most. The formula of these eyeshadows are buttery soft and highly pigmented. Each palette consists of twelve neutral shades in a variety of finishes. MAC eyeshadows have a truly unique range of shades, textures and finishes. There are too many shades and finishes to pick out a few of my favourites but what I can tell you is, that there's something for everyone. So just pop into your local store and have chat with the artists if your unsure, I know it can be very overwhelming; but you really can't go wrong with a MAC eyeshadow.

Eyeliner, the only one worth mentioning is the Urban Decay 24/7 Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner.The sharp slender brush lays down long-lasting opaque colour to create clean and sharp lines.

Mascara. I hold my hands up I'm a mascara whore. There's not any particular brand that I'm loyal to and couldn't live without. I really rely on my NARS eyelash curlers to do most of the work, but if I had to name a few the MAC False Lashes Extreme Black and YSL Effect Faux Cils Mascara are the two I've repurchased the most. Both great for lengthening and separating lashes. 

My love affair with the Diorskin Nude Shimmer in 002 Amber is a long one, although it is marketed as an illuminating powder, I find this is the perfect summer contour shade for my complexion. (Tan/Medium) It is a gold-shimmered, peach-orange shade with warm undertones and a satin sheen.  It is a finely-milled powder, the texture is soft and silky on the skin and the colour is buildable and blendable. A less shimmery offering is the Charlotte Tilbury Bronze & Glow, the bronze shade complements light to medium skin tones.

Highlighter is the beauty product I tend to skip over, but I have a few amongst my stash that are worth a mention. The MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Soft and Gentle is a cult favourite. They are finely milled powders with a sheer iridescent shimmer. They are pigmented and a little goes a long way. One of my personal favourite shades is Lightscapade. Benefit Sun Beam is a gorgeous golden bronze highlighter that I prefer to use in the summer to add some warmth to my complexion, again a little goes a long way.

Blush, like lipstick is personal to each individual. Right now my favourites include Dior Rosy Glow Awakening Blush, a beautiful cool-toned pink shade, it looks scary in the pan but it translates into a sheer glow on the skin. The YSL Flower Crush Palette in rosy blush is a creamy powder blush duo. I use a light hand with this product, as it is highly pigmented and shimmery. Again it leaves a gorgeous glow on the skin, perfect for the summer. An all round favourite includes the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush in mood exposure, the formula is slightly more powdery then the others mentioned, but it blends effortlessly into the skin and awakens lacklustre skin.

Powder. A sheer option that is almost translucent on the skin is the Chanel Les Beiges Healthy Glow Sheer Powder. It does exactly what it says on the tin. You're going to get a light to medium coverage at best with this powder. Nothing can compare to the texture of this powder, its silky soft and weightless. It mattifies skin, yet leaves a luminous finish. The Make Up For Ever HD High Definition Microfinish Powder is my personal secret weapon. It keeps the skin matte and looking flawless as well as diminishes the visibility of pores.

Lipliners. They were never really my thing until Kylie Jenner rocked the world with her infamous nudey lips. MAC Lipliners are the way forward, they have a huge variety of shades, something for everyone.

If you know me, then you know that lipstick is my weakness. MAC lipsticks are the best in terms of range of shades and finishes, there's something for everyone. But Tom Ford lipsticks are the crème de la crème of the beauty world. The formulas are second to none, creamy, pigmented and long-lasting everything and more you would want in a lipstick. If you could only splash out on one high-end lipstick, Tom Ford will not disappoint.






No comments

Post a Comment

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig