Why Heartbreak Is The Greatest Life Lesson

I have been ruled by fear - a powerful, underlying emotion that has determined much of my behaviour. I was not conscious of this driving force or the strange hold it's had over me. Heartbreak brought me many things, but I'm thankful that it brought me to this realisation.

When a relationship ends, it feels as if the world is going to end. Dramatic I know, but it's all thats on your mind. You become lost because you were somewhat dependant on that love even without realising it. The feeling of loss and rejection has now become an unbearable reality.

My first milestone toward healing came in the form of painful self discovery. To my shameful and selfish acknowledgement, my motivation for holding on was self-serving. I wanted to feel loved. I feared losing him, I feared not knowing how to love again.

I learnt that the feeling of loss was temporary, because I committed myself to letting him go. Not because I no longer loved him, but because I wanted to love him in a way that allowed us both to live our most authentic lives.

I realised that even though the pain of heartbreak is excruciating, I'd rather have my heart broken a million times over than to have never experienced true love.

Heartbreak had confirmed my deepest insecurity, but it also allowed me to overcome it. I will no longer live in fear of being hurt. Being hurt is something we have no control over, all we can do is live life and try to overcome the obstacles it brings.



No comments

Post a Comment

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig